The chemicals in tobacco cause physical changes in the brain chemistry, which in turn affects the psychological being of the smoker. Below are the top 5 ways on how smoking affects one’s attitude:
- It enhances mood. Smokers claim that smoking makes them feel better. According to studies, nicotine may have indeed a calming effect, but in a very destructive way. Nicotine is an addictive substance. Research found that smokers go through persistent withdrawal, especially during sleep. So when they wake up the next day, even just a single puff can feel relaxing. What they don’t know is this – it is the nicotine’s way to remain in their body.
- It’s pleasurable. Smokers experience a pleasant feeling whenever they puff a cigarette, according to the American Cancer Society. But the pleasurable feeling brought by smoking is only temporary. One has to smoke over and over again to experience the same mood-enhancing feeling.
- It makes the smoker scared. Smokers know the consequences of their habit. But they just can’t stop. This causes fears, anxiety and worries. They are bothered by guilt feelings but they can’t do anything about it. Smokers understand that tobacco use can increase their risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and many other mental illnesses.
- It makes a person feel socially isolated. If before, smoking is considered a ‘cool’ thing, today it is being regarded as a social malady which destroys the lives of thousands of people. Because of this, smoking is often banned in private and public places. Smokers are avoided because more and more people are beginning to understand the ill effects of secondhand smoke.
- Depression. One of the most debilitating effects of the withdrawal period is depression. A significant number of smokers experience persistent feelings of sadness during the smoking cessation period. This is because their brain is triggering them to engage in smoking but their subconscious mind is telling them to stop.
Don’t let cigarettes ruin your life
Smoking can negatively affect your attitude towards yourself and towards other people. Quitting smoking today is the best thing you can do to improve your health and well-being.