Chantix is a prescription medication provided to people who are trying to quit. The drug works by blocking the nicotine receptors in the brain so the person taking it doesn’t experience craving. Clinical trials show that people who use Chantix have 44 percent success rate in just 12 weeks.
Chantix is recognized by the Food & Drug Administration as a safe medication. But it can lead to undesirable consequences if not used properly. So before you start taking Chantix, take note of the following important steps:
- Speak with your doctor. You will not be able to buy Chantix without a prescription from a doctor so make sure to set an appointment with your doctor first. You need to be familiar with how the medicine works, its pros and cons, and how it should be taken. Your doctor will make an assessment of your health status to determine whether Chantix is the best quit smoking treatment for you. Your medical history will be taken into consideration during the assessment.
- Set a quit date before taking Chantix. The good thing about this drug is that you don’t have to stop all at once. While taking the medication, you are allowed to smoke. However, you will notice that each day, smoking becomes less and less pleasurable. That’s the drug doing its job – blocking the nicotine receptors in your brain so it doesn’t produce any feel-good effect. Still, you have to prepare for some withdrawal symptoms because you are gradually reducing your nicotine dosage. Symptoms to watch out are headache, irritability and anxiety.
- Once your ‘special day’ comes, stop smoking. Your quit date marks the time of being a non-smoker. Don’t worry because you may no longer be craving for one as long as you are taking Chantix. You may still feel the urge to smoke from time to time but then again, if you will light up, it no longer feels pleasurable.
- Follow the right dosage. Chantix is normally taken in 12 days. You will start with a low dosage and gradually increase it. During the first three days, Chantix users normally start with half a milligram, taken once every day. Then, it is increased to 0.5 mg twice a day during the fourth to seventh day. Starting from the 8th and up to the 12th day, the dosage will be 1mg twice a day. Most doctors recommend beginning the Chantix treatment at least one week before the quit date. Some smokers try to change their dosage without any advice from a doctor. But increasing the dosage may lead to unwanted side effects while reducing the dosage may not help a person quit at all.
- Regularly consult your doctor. Your doctor needs to know your progress and other concerns that you may have while taking Chantix. Report any symptom or side effect that you may experience. While some side effects are normal, some are not so better tell everything to your doctor.
Chantix can be an effective treatment for quitting smoking. When taken correctly, and with the guidance of a health professional, you can increase your chance of quitting smoking today and say goodbye to cigarettes forever.