A smoker’s breath is so strong that it could knock you off your feet even though you’re several inches away from that person. But if you are also a smoker, you may rarely notice it. Deciding to stop smoking today will surely make a big difference in your appearance and your level of confidence.
Why does smoking cause bad breath?
Most often, bad breath is caused by things that you can easily counter. One of which is smoking. Tobacco contains chemicals and toxins that make your mouth a perfect breeding ground for bacteria that cause bad breath. Nicotine also produces oil that could stain your teeth and darken your gums and lips. Another reason why cigarette smoking makes your breath smell bad is because it dries your mouth. Smoking stops the saliva from continuously flowing and cleansing your mouth. This results to the proliferation of odor-causing bacteria. The heat from cigarette smoke also damages the tissues in your mouth that play a significant role in promoting oral health.
So how do you cure bad breath due to smoking?
Here are the steps to follow if you want to eliminate the awful breath brought by smoking:
- Brush your teeth regularly. Brushing with quality toothpaste that contains sufficient amount of fluoride is the easiest way to refresh your breath and reduce the bacteria in your mouth. But don’t think that the cigarette smell will be entirely gone once you brush your teeth, especially if you’re a chain smoker.
- Chew mint leaves. Mint leaves are very effective in eliminating unpleasant smell in your breath that is caused by smoking. Don’t like mint leaves? Try sunflower seeds. These natural remedies are really worth it!
- Avoid sugar. Refined sugar makes your breath worse as it promotes the development of cavities. Avoid eating sugary foods, such as cookies, candies, cakes and soft drinks.
- Drink more water. Water keeps your tongue and stomach clean and hydrated, which in turn prevents the development of bacteria and other microbes that cause bad breath. Apart from water, you may also want to consume plenty of tea. This beverage has antiseptic properties that are effective in destroying bacteria.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Eating after smoking is an effective way to cover the stale odor of cigarette. While you can eat just any food you want, it is still better to consume healthier ones, such as fruits and vegetables. They don’t just counter the negative effects of smoking to your health but also makes cigarettes less pleasurable and taste better, according to research.
All these things are going to help you suppress bad breath that is caused by smoking. But their benefits are only temporary. If you really want to be free from bad breath, there’s only one thing you can do: STOP SMOKING NOW. Over time, you will notice that you no longer have the smoker’s breath. Your teeth will whiten and your gums and lips will look better. Not only that. Your skin will become more vibrant and your physical appearance will certainly improve. When that moment comes, you can say hello to a new, more beautiful and confident you!