Women who are planning to get pregnant and those who are in the childbearing age should avoid smoking. Cigarette smoking does not only harm their health but also the health of their child. For those who are already pregnant, quitting smoking today is more than necessary. Unfortunately, some quit smoking aids are not appropriate for them because of the possible side effects. The good news is that there are safer ways for a pregnant woman stop her nicotine addiction.
- Practice relaxation techniques. Quitting smoking can give you a lot of stress which you don’t want to happen during pregnancy. Practicing mindfulness-based breathing exercises can help you deal with the anxiety and stress that come along with quitting.
- Exercise. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you already need to give up exercising. As a matter of fact, the more you need to exercise. According to the researchers at St. George University of London, exercising is a healthy smoking cessation aid and is very much safe for pregnant women. There are exercises that are designed for pregnant women. Make sure to exercise under the supervision of a health professional. Intense physical activities aren’t good for you and your baby.
- Nibble on carrots. If you’re used to having something in your hand or mouth, nibble on carrots instead. Fruits and vegetables are good for your body and your baby’s health. Eating them on a regular basis can also reduce your cigarette craving.
- Consider hypnotherapy. This natural technique helps you quit smoking by strengthening your willpower. Through positive suggestions, you can eliminate negative thoughts that trigger you to smoke. But never do self-hypnosis unless you are very much knowledgeable and trained with this technique. Always seek help from a professional therapist.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine. These two substances are not only bad for pregnancy but can also increase your nicotine cravings. To beat nicotine addiction, you have to avoid things that trigger you to smoke. Determine all your other triggers and avoid them.
While some herbs can help you quit smoking naturally, you should not take anything without the advice from your doctor. There are herbs that can be harmful for your baby so you must be cautious when taking them, even if they are already in supplement forms. The moment you realize you are pregnant, stop smoking right away. It takes several weeks for tobacco toxins to be removed from your body. Always bear in mind that you are doing this not just for yourself but most importantly for your baby.