Healthy choices can actually help you feel better. This means less stress and cravings, and staying quit. Below are some healthy lifestyle changes you can make to help keep you quit for good:
- Eat protein and vegetables. It will also help if you put only half of your normal serving size on your plate. If you’re still hungry, you can either add a second serving of vegetables or divert your appetite to fruits.
- Switch to smaller plates and bowls.
- Put small servings of dishes on the table.
- Reduce fat and sugar consumption. For instance, if you used to eat five cookies a day, you may want to cut it to 3 or 4 cookies a day.
- Eat extra servings of fresh vegetables or fruits daily.
- Drink extra glass of water.
- Avoid fatty foods, choose low calorie-foods instead.
- Do 15-minute brisk walk after lunch and dinner, or on your work break.
- Take the stairs.
- Park far enough to give yourself a good walk to the office.
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Join fitness centers or studios or interest groups
- Try something new that interests you, like hiking, marathon, etc.
Simply Have Fun
- Treat yourself.
- Go out with friends and family.
- Discover new hangouts.
- Do something you enjoy like watching movie, listening to music, playing with your pet, etc.
- Learn the habit of sleeping on the same time every night. It will be easier for you to fall asleep.
- Set the number of sleeping hours. This would require a little of experimentation. Some would require only 7 hours to feel fully invigorated, some would require 9 hours. If you feel you need more sleep, try sleeping at least 30 minutes ahead of your schedule.
- Keep a comfortable sleeping environment.
- Exercise electronic detox. No television, phone, and computer when going to bed.
- Have a fix waking up time.
- Don’t exercise hours before going to bed.
- No large meals before bedtime.
Staying quit might be harder than what you think it is. What might work for your friend may not work for you. It is a life process where you need to exert effort into determining the things that inspire, entertain, motivate, and matter to you. It may even require you to try different things until you finally find the things that best work for you.
Which of these lifestyle changes are appealing to you? You don’t have to do all the items listed above, choose several that interests you. Start with a few new things every day and before you know it, you have made a big difference in your life and in your health. The healthy and nicotine-free life is just a few steps away. Little steps a day make a lot of difference. So take your time, enjoy, and you will be successful!