Smoking is much common among teenagers and it is one of the most dangerous habits one can have. It also serves as a gateway to various vices that might lead to drug addiction. Records suggest that nearly 80 percent of smokers started smoking before the age of 18. All of them are young teens and students.
There are many things to be considered and one of the most important is finding the right friend for your children. It is crucial in choosing the right people to go with. We all know that peer influence may affect the behavior of your children. Being away from the companionship of smokers is one way to keep them cigarette-free.
A good example to your children is also essential since we all know that teen smoking started from parents who are addicted to cigarettes. It is responsibility of the parents to protect their child away from different kinds of vices. It is also important for a parent to maintain a good relationship with their children as well as other members of the family.
Lastly, you must understand that often, smoking is a form of rebellion. As a parent, you must talk with your child and make them feel their importance as a human being. From that, they will realize to do the things that are more helpful and progressive to improve their personality.
It is also vital to remind your teens how smoking affects the health of a person. Let them know the disease caused by it. Let them know how dirty and smelly it is.
Once a person has become engaged to smoking, quitting might become harder. Once the brain gets hooked to nicotine, the cravings and temptations are very difficult to deal with.
Here are some tips on how to deal with cravings: Remember there are many changes when you quit, and that could include feeling irritable, hungry and nervous. You may also feel destructed.
The following tips will make you feel better:
- You can ask for help from your friends and family members.
- Once you quit, don’t ever try to smoke again. Stay away from people who are smoking and don’t keep cigarettes in your house even in your car and in your office.
- Make yourself busy from other activities like jogging, watching good news about health and bonding with your family will also help to forget your smoke.
- You can take a mini mental vacation. Close your eyes and concentrate. Think a place where you can relax. Go to this place often and do some activities or you can just rest for the day if you want.
- Make some hobbies. Find something you can enjoy doing like crossword puzzle, reading magazines and novels. This would help you a lot from your cravings.
Always remember that “cravings” are not a sign of weakness. They may bring you discomfort, but that’s only temporary. Let your cravings be your sign of healing. Let your urges run.
Have faith and believe in yourself. You can quit smoking today.